Falorni Tech Glass Melting Technology
Filtraglass

Hitachi, Sony, Toshiba: LCD merger

Japan“s Hitachi is reported to be planning to merge the manufacturing operations of its small and mid-size LCD panels used in smartphones and tablets with those of Toshiba Corp. and Sony Corp.
Acc…

Japan“s Hitachi is reported to be planning to merge the manufacturing operations of its small and mid-size LCD panels used in smartphones and tablets with those of Toshiba Corp. and Sony Corp. According to the report, Sony and Toshiba were already in consultation with the Innovation Network Corp. of Japan (INCJ) to merge their LCD operations. Hitachi had been negotiating the sale of a majority stake in its small-LCD business to contract electronics manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry of Taiwan, otherwise known as Foxconn. If the agreement, expected to be finalized in July, goes ahead, the INCJ could double its previous investment plan and put forward about INR 11,160.71 crore (USD 2.5 billion). This represents a 70% stake in the super-company, with Hitachi, Sony and Toshiba sharing the remaining 30%. The move is seen as an attempt to prevent mistakes concerninglarge-size LCDs for TVs. Japan largely lost out in this market due to manufacturing being split among numerous Japanese consumer electronics companies.

Sign up for free to the glassOnline.com daily newsletter

Subscribe now to our daily newsletter for full coverage of everything you need to know about the world glass industry!

We don't send spam! Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Share this article