An updated standard has been released by the American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) which regards the installation of residential replacement windows without the removal of existing frames.
The American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) has released an updated standard for the installation of residential replacement windows without the removal of existing frames. AAMA 2410-13, Standard Practice for Installation of Windows with an Exterior Flush Fin Over an Existing Window Frame practice covers the installation of retrofit windows in detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three floors above-grade in height.
“Updated from the 2003 document, AAMA 2410-13 includes the updated definition of residential dwellings as defined in AAMA 2400-10 and the current building codes,” says Kim Flanary (Milgard), Chair of the Residential Window Installation (AAMA 2410) Task Group. “The task group also added details for proper shimming and sealing of the replacement window to the existing window frame to improve the overall performance on the installation.”
AAMA 2410 assumes that the seal between the pre-existing window and adjacent wall or water-resistive barrier (WRB) is adequate and that the wall surrounding the pre-existing window is structurally sound. “The installation practices in AAMA 2410 save time and minimizes the potential for disturbing the original WRB.”
AAMA 2410 references important industry documents which include:
• AAMA 800-10, Voluntary Specifications and Test Methods for Sealants
• AAMA IM-TM-08, InstallationMasters™ Training Manual
• AAMA TIR A9-91, Metal Curtain Wall Fasteners
• ASTM B456-11e1, Standard Specification for Electroplated Coatings of Copper Plus Nickel Plus Chromium and Nickel Plus Chromium
• ASTM B633-11, Standard Specification for Electrodeposited Coatings of Zinc on Iron and Steel
• ASTM B766-86(2008), Standard Specification for Electrodeposited Coating of Cadmium
• ASTM E2112-07, Standard Practice for Installation of Exterior Windows, Doors and Skylights
AAMA 2410-13, along with other AAMA publications, may be purchased from AAMA’s publication store at http://www.aamanet.org.