Verallia, the world’s third-largest producer of glass packaging for food and beverages, has announced that it has been awarded the platinum rating for its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and responsible purchasing performance, with an overall score of 75/100. The Group thus obtains the highest level of distinction delivered by EcoVadis.
Created in 2007, EcoVadis is a CSR rating platform. This organization evaluates companies in detail and measures the degree of maturity of their CSR policy and actions on the basis of 21 issues grouped into 4 themes: Environment, Social & Human Rights, Ethics and Responsible Purchasing.
With its strong CSR commitments, Verallia had already received the gold medal in 2020 with a score of 67/100. This recognition is the result of the Group’s progress on all the criteria evaluated. At the top of these criteria is the environmental commitment, which is reflected in ambitious objectives:
- Reduce CO2 emissions, Scope 1 and Scope 2, by 46 percent in 2030 compared to 2019, a very strong commitment that sets Verallia apart from its competitors.
- Achieve a 66 percent cullet use rate by 2030, with a first step of 59 percent by 2025
- In the longer term, Verallia aims to become a CO2 neutral company by 2050.
During 2021, the Group also continued its initiatives on the other three themes assessed by EcoVadis:
- Social and Human Rights
- A health and safety policy that also covers the Group’s subcontractors
- Measures to reduce the impact of hardship and stress on the Group’s employees and improve well-being in the workplace.
- Implementation of a compliance policy including the development of new training, procedures and evaluation of third parties.
- Responsible Purchasing
Compliance with CSR requirements by Verallia’s suppliers has been a central focus of the Group’s purchasing activities for the past two years. A risk assessment has been carried out among 400 of the Group’s suppliers.
Laëtitia Fabre, Chief Sustainability Officer at Verallia, said, “The rating awarded by EcoVadis rewards the collective work undertaken at all levels of the Group across the world. Day after day, we are working to improve our performance in terms of social and environmental responsibility in the service of one ambition: to reimagine glass for a sustainable future. This progress, praised by Ecovadis, encourages us to continue our efforts to achieve the ambitious objectives we have set ourselves and to continue to transform our company for the benefit of all our stakeholders.”