Combining 80 percent electrical energy with 20 percent combustion to support larger furnace requirements, the CLEAN Melter® emits significantly less CO₂ than conventional fossil-fired furnaces, offering greater flexibility and huge cost savings.
We are powering up to bring emissions down
If you’re looking for a more sustainable way of melting glass, look no further than the powerful new CLEAN Melter® from SORG.
Having patented the world’s first hybrid furnace, SORG is getting much closer to safeguarding the future for everyone to benefit from carbon neutral energy.
Sustainable is achievable
A growing demand for the glass industry to rapidly reduce its carbon impact has led to major global brands seeking local manufacturers who respect and support their sustainability strategies.
By combining electric melting with existing furnace technology, the CLEAN Melter® offers the best of both worlds. It can increase the electric share to as much as 80 percent, resulting in much lower energy consumption and carbon emissions, while also offering greater flexibility in pull variations and raw material changes.
Depending on the locality, it can even start as a conventional combustion furnace with electric boosting and convert later without further modifications.
The clean melter® at a glance
- SORG CLEAN Melter® offers technology for up to 400 t/d
- Depending on the amount of electric boosting – up to 80 percent – the CO₂ emissions are strongly reduced
- Oxygen-firing is recommended
- Substitution of gas by green hydrogen: the SORG CLEAN Melter® has zero CO₂ emissions from combustion
- Solution to achieve required glass quality without limitation in pull and glass colour
- Can be started as a conventional furnace with boosting and can be later converted to hybrid melter with up to 80 percent boosting
- The SORG CLEAN Melter® allows operation within a wide range of boosting
Advantages of CLEAN Melter®
- Electric share on melting energy as high as possible – up to 80 percent
- Flexibility in regards of pull variations
- Flexibility in regards of raw materials and raw material changes (no glass quality instabilities)
- Melting of oxidizing and reduced glasses
- Fossil share on melting energy without restriction in the application of CO₂ – neutral combustibles (hydrogen)
- Flexibility in the mix of different heating sources (fossil/electric)
Environmental & energetic impact
Depending on the amount of electric boosting – up to 80 percent – the CO₂ emissions are strongly reduced.
With SORG, glass is here to stay
The reason behind SORG’s hybrid concept is really simple. Because without it, glass has no future. Not only will the CLEAN Melter® have the capability to reduce the carbon emissions of larger furnace operations by as much as 80 percent, it will also offer enormous cost savings and greater flexibility.
With an unrivalled knowledge of electric and hybrid melting, SORG has all the experts and technology in place, ready to make it happen. Plus, the company has the quality measures and rigorous testing processes to deliver every promise.
Glass melting is dramatically changing for the better, and SORG furnaces are central to enabling these technological revolutions.