Guardian Glass Europe is pleased to announce that it has attained Bronze level Cradle to Cradle certification for three of its product families – float, coated and laminated glass – manufactured at eight of its European plants.
The Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Products Standard is a globally-recognised methodology used to constantly evaluate the sustainable attributes of products, and a tool for the glass industry’s response to the circular economy challenge. The standard evaluates products across five categories of human and environmental health, and encourages continuous improvement over time by awarding certification on the basis of ascending levels of achievement and requiring certification renewal every two years.
Each certification level represents increasingly rigorous achievement across five critical performance categories:
- Material Health – optimizing the chemistry of the materials used in the design of products/buildings to minimize impact to human health and the environment.
- Material Re-utilisation – design to eliminate the concept of “waste” with intentional constituent cycles to retain the full value of the constituent.
- Renewable Energy & Carbon Management – a future powered by renewable energy where manufacturers positively impact energy supply, ecosystem balance, and keep carbon in soil and vegetation.
- Water Stewardship – treat water as a precious resource by encouraging effective management and use strategies.
- Social Fairness – responsible business operations and ethics for all stakeholders, including the supply chain and the environment.
The benefits of buying C2C certified products
Product designers, manufacturers and brands around the world rely on the Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard as a transformative pathway for designing and manufacturing products with a positive impact on people and the planet.
Furthermore, a growing number of brands, organisations and sustainability standards such as LEED and BREEAM now recognise the Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard as a preferred product designation for making more responsible purchasing decisions.
In terms of buildings, the Cradle to Cradle Building Charter encourages architects and designers to create positive impacts and beneficial footprints from the very beginning of their project. Building design and construction should be informed by Cradle to Cradle principles, incorporating a wide range of C2C products and materials.
Achieving Bronze level certification for its float, coated and laminated glass products is a significant step by Guardian Glass to align its products and manufacturing processes with the Company Vision of “helping people improve their lives by providing products and services they value more highly than their alternatives, and do so responsibly while consuming fewer resources”. This vision involves producing glass products that help reduce energy usage and increase occupant comfort in buildings.
Guus Boekhoudt, Vice President of Guardian Glass in Europe, commented, “This is a great achievement by Guardian Glass. Over the past 12 months, eight of our European production plants and around 60 employees across more than 15 capabilities have been involved in the C2C certification process. Attaining Bronze level certification validates Guardian’s ongoing commitment and investment as a global leader in the responsible manufacturing of sustainable glass products.”
Cradle to Cradle Certified™ is a certification mark licensed by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute.
To learn more about Guardian Glass Europe Cradle to Cradle Certified Products, visit guardianglass.com.