Crystalex sells Kvetna glassworks

In the first week of June, Crystalex Novy Bor, the owner of the glassworks in Kvetna, signed a contract for the firm“s sale to a newly established Moravske sklarny Kvetna, which was to, as of 6 June,…

In the first week of June, Crystalex Novy Bor, the owner of the glassworks in Kvetna, signed a contract for the firm“s sale to a newly established Moravske sklarny Kvetna, which was to, as of 6 June, start taking over the glassworks“ assets, Vladimir Kubinec said. Kubinec, head of the union of employees in the glass, ceramics, costume jewellery and porcelain industries, which controls 51% of Moravske sklarny Kvetna, would not disclose the purchase price, referring to terms of the contract. The new owner, in which former Kvetna glassworks director Josef Hefka has the remaining 49%, intends to re-launch production on 1 July. It will employ a maximum of 250 former employees, with more staff to be recruited at the end of the year if the start of production and sales is successful, Kubinec said. “We have secured sales including contracts abroad. But I don“t want to specify countries at the moment,” he added. The signature of the contract was confirmed by Crystalex spokesman Petr Tomisek who said the company did not hold talks with any other investor. In November 2001 Crystalex announced it would dismiss all of the 450 staff and wind down production at the Kvetna glassworks. The decision aroused protests and Crystalex agreed to call a public tender in which allegedly none of the eight bidders, one of them being Hefka, was successful. Crystalex then offered to maintain 100-125 jobs, but unionists were looking for other options. The first furnace was shut down at the beginning of March and the remaining two on 15 March.